Thursday, April 2, 2009

NEW MOON


Samira Makhmalbaf سمیرا مخملباف is the most amazing film director in the world right now. I promise. Her movies are almost never screened in this country but they are more devastating and exciting than almost anything else I've ever seen in my short, short life. They are so wild that they short-circuit any kind of crap critical analysis from me. To see all of her movies fairly easily, my advice is to buy a cheap DVD player that will play movies from around the world, then get the UK DVDs, all of them on Artificial Eye. I've seen her first three features: "The Apple", "Blackboards", and "At Five in the Afternoon" (her second most recent and GREATEST - it is like that time you were on drugs and realized that God equals whatever you came up with OK). If anyone can point me in the direction of where I can see her newest feature, "Two Legged Horse", I would be so very grateful. Dudes. Dudettes. THIS IS THE GOOD STUFF THAT YOU ALWAYS WISH WOULD BE AROUND.

No comments: